By Audrey Dukes and Holli Fourniquet
To submit your events, click HERE.
(Select “2nd Saturday in the Event Categories section)
Enjoy FREE parking on the square, in the Fair Plaza parking garage (located right beside ETX Brewing Co. and across the street from The Foundry Coffee House), and free valet parking at Rick’s and Jack Ryan’s.
Downtown Tyler will be bursting with entertainment, music, food, history tours, art, and more for a new event called “Hit the Bricks: 2nd Saturday,” April 8th, 2pm-12 midnight.
Visit Tyler, the City of Tyler, and Downtown businesses, organizations, and enthusiasts are all coming together to organize activities for the entire family the second Saturday of every month. “Hit the Bricks” will offer a chance for the community to come together in the heart of the city.
Arrive early before the sun goes down and enjoy a self-guided tour of the Half Mile of History. This is an outdoor, half-mile loop around the square. Stone plaques are placed in the sidewalk to commemorate significant people, places, or events. For a list of locations along the Half Mile of History go to cityoftyler.org/departments/historicpreservation.
As you’re walking around, make sure to stop into one of Downtown’s newly opened shops. These stores offer unique items that can only be found in Downtown Tyler. El Guapo Records sells vintage and new vinyl records; 903 Handmade features collections from quality handmade makers local, around Texas, and around the country; and Moon Rivers Naturals specializes in body products using local and organic ingredients.
Head over to Gallery Main Street sometime between 5:30-8pm for the opening reception of the art exhibit, “Pretty Ugly.” The opening reception is free.
As dinner time approaches, consider dining at one of the eight local eateries Downtown. Options range in everything from tacos at Don Juan’s to fine dining at Rick’s on the Square or Jack Ryan’s Steak and Chop House.
Or if a food truck and beer is more your speed, then check out ETX Brewing Co. ETX Brewing Co. is a family-owned microbrewery with a passion for serving exceptional craft beer and is open 12 noon-10pm. Here you will enjoy food from a food truck and $1 off pints (discount offered until 6pm). Also, exclusively offered during “Hit the Bricks,” ETX Brewing Co. will give free brewery tours at 2pm, 3pm, and 4pm.
Then it’s time to experience nightlife on the bricks! Enjoy some tunes at Rick’s and The Garage Bar. On April 8th starting at 9:30pm, Rick’s will feature The Good Question Band, a high energy band that ignites audiences with great music.
Activities by for April 8th, 2017…
- ETX Brewing Co. will offer brewery tours at 2pm, 3pm, and 4pm (Limited to first 25 people per tour); $1 off pints until 6pm; a food truck; and live entertainment provided by The Magills, 7-9pm
- Gallery Main Street will have an opening reception for the art exhibit “Pretty Ugly” 5:30pm-8pm. The reception is free and features music, an opportunity to meet the artists, and refreshments.
- Rick’s on the Square will feature The Good Question Band, 9pm-midnight, a high energy band that provides a variety of music igniting audiences with great sound.
- Live music performance at El Guapo Records. Time TBA
- Half Mile of History self-guided tour: this is an outdoor, half-mile loop around the square that commemorates significant people, places, or events in Tyler. Click here for the digital brochure for the self-guided tour.
- Live musical performance by Hannah Dot Cook, 4-5pm.
- Meet and Greet some of this year’s Azalea Belles, 5:30pm-6:30pm.
- Violin performance on the square by Audrey Dukes, 5:30pm-6:30pm.
- Classic movie “Some Like it Hot” playing at Liberty Hall, 7pm. (Tickets are $7.)
- Take a Haunted Walking or Riding Tour with Jericho’s Tours of Tyler. It’s $15 per person for the Riding Tour and $8 per person for the Walking Tour. Attendees must pay in advance online or in cash at the time of the tour (no checks). Tours are limited to 11 people for the Riding Tour, but no limit for the Walking Tour. Reservations are required for the Riding Tour. The Walking Tour will start at 8:30pm, and the Riding Tour will start at 9:30pm. To make reservations go to toursoftyler.com.
- Check out vendors on the Square including Sseko Designs, a fashion company that produces unique, versatile, and gorgeous shoes, bags, and accessories in East Africa. Their mission is to create jobs and opportunities for impoverished young women who would otherwise have no opportunity to achieve their dreams or support their families.
- Other things to enjoy in Downtown Tyler: Restaurants, Attractions, Shopping, Lodging
Interested in participating in Hit the Bricks: Second Saturday? Submit your events for Hit the Bricks: Second Saturday or for questions contact Holli (Conley) Fourniquet at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Hit the Bricks: 2nd Saturday” will be unique and different each month, and will be held rain or shine, cold or hot. For a full list of activities go to visittyler.com/secondsaturday.
Future “Hit the Bricks: Second Saturday’s” are:
- May 13th
- June 10th
- July 8th
- August 12th
- September 9th
- October 14th
- November 11th
- December 9th