Tyler Junior College, the Tyler Museum of Art and others, are once again offering a spring arts festival packed with tons of events and performances. The TJC April Arts Festival will be collaborating with the Tyler Museum of Art the entire month of April.
The festival is a celebration of the dynamic arts programs at Tyler Junior College. These programs provide rich learning experiences. This event is a collaboration of The Bell Tower Arts Journal, International Day, the Tyler Museum of Art, and the Art, Music, Theater, Speech, Dance, and Visual Communications departments. Back again, the local CBS 19 will be supporting media underwriting.
The Annual Arts Festival germinated from the notion of Dr. Linda Gary (TJC Dean of Humanities, Communications and Fine Arts) a few years ago. Dr. Gary’s original thoughts of the festival bloomed from her idea of outstretching the outstanding activities that the multiple departments at the college conduct and coordinate. Why not share the greatness? There are some entertaining, cultural, enlightening events taking place at the upcoming festival. Find the ones you are interested in, check them all out, and reconnect to one of Tyler’s trademarks and come celebrate the arts.
2018 April Art Festival events include:
- On view all of April – “Sticks and Stones: Works by Helen Altman” and the 14th Annual High School Art Exhibits will be at the Tyler Museum of Art all month. For more info, go to tylermuseum.org.
- April 2nd-27th – A Visual Communications Exhibition will be displayed in the Pirtle Technology Building, Pirtle Phase 4.
- Through April 25th – The Amazing Hancock Brothers will be on exhibit at the TJC Wise Auditorium Art Gallery.
- Through April 27th – East Texas CARES Food Pantry is hosting a Food Drive, sponsored by The Art Club. Donations may be dropped off in the Jenkins Hall Art Department Lobby.
- April 16th (2pm) – “The Bell Tower Arts Journal” Launch Party will be held in the TJC Jenkins Hall Art Department Lobby. The unveiling of the latest edition of “The Bell Tower Arts Journal” includes selected artwork, poetry and prose from students.
- April 17th (9am-5pm) – TJC’s Annual International Day celebrates diversity and worldwide cultures with an amazing lineup of events and activities in the Apache Rooms of the Rogers Student Center.
- April 17th (10am) – Distinguished Lecture Series: Hearing Each Other: Tolerance & Interfaith Dialogue will be held in the Wise Auditorium.
- April 17th (7:30pm) – Wind Ensembles and Symphonic Band will be in concert in Wise Auditorium. Come enjoy an evening of great music performed by students in the TJC Percussion Ensembles and Symphonic Band. Free admission.
- April 18th (12 noon) – Coffee House: Chamber Singers will perform at Tyler Museum of Art in the lobby.
- April 18th (5:30pm) – Forensics (Speech and Debate) Team Showcase will be held in the Jean Browne Theatre.
- April 20th (1pm) – Student Recital Series will be held in the TJC Jean Browne Theatre.
- April 23rd (3pm) – The Student Film Festival be be held in the TJC Apache Rooms. a
- April 23rd (3pm) – “Be An Anchor” will be held in the Newsroom, Potter 203.
- April 24th (10am) – Rock the Garden games and activities will be held in the TJC Genecov Garden area.
- April 24th (3pm) – Azerbaijani Music Concert & Workshop will be held in the TJC Apache Rooms.
- April 24th (7:30pm) – Spring Choral Concert will be presented in the TJC Wise Auditorium.
- April 25th (12 noon) – THUNDERDOME Art Competition will take place where there is only one winner – all the other entries will be destroyed by the annihilator. BYOT (Bring your own tears) to Jenkins Courtyard. Special guests will be the Amazing Hancock Brothers!
- April 25th (2pm) – Amazing Hancock Brothers Printmaking demonstration will be held in the TJC Jenkins Hall Art Department Lobby.
- April 25th (12 noon) – Coffee House: Faculty Recital will be performed in the Tyler Museum of Art Lobby. Concert and museum admission is free.
- April 25th-28th (7:30pm) and April 28th (2pm) – “Hamlet” will be presented in the TJC Jean Browne Theatre.
- April 25th (7:30pm) – TJC Jazz Ensembles will perform in the Wise Auditorium.
- April 27th – The Performance Grant Student Showcase Art Exhibition will on display in the Wise Auditorium Art Gallery.
Most events are free to attend and everyone is welcome. There is something for everyone offered during this month-long festival. Find the events, exhibits and performances you are interested in and come enjoy. It really is the best ticket in town!
Tyler Junior College is located at 1400 E. Fifth St., Tyler. The Tyler Junior College Wise Auditorium Fine Arts Building and TJC’s Jean Browne Theatre in the Wise Cultural Arts Building are located near South Mahon Ave. across from the Tyler Museum of Art. More info can be found at tjc.edu/artsfestival or call (903)510-2200.
SAVE TONS on Pet Microchips This April
$5 Pet Microchipping in April
The Tyler Animal Shelter is offering discounted microchipping prices of $5 through the month of April, plus a one-day discounted rabies and microchipping event.
This year, the $5 microchipping is through the month of April at our 4218 Chandler Hwy location, not 3393 W. Grande.
The Rabies Vaccination and Microchipping Clinic will be April 26th at Fun Forest Park, 2000 N Forest, starting at 6pm.
“Filling out the paperwork takes longer than the actual microchipping,” said Shelter Manager Shawn Markmann.
“If your dog gets lost or gets picked up, then you have an identifier to get your pet back to you, and if your animal is stolen it also helps retrieve ownership,” Markmann said, adding that all of the animal control officers have microchip scanners on their trucks to help find the owner before they go into the shelter.
The Tyler Animal Shelter also is accepting donations to help the pets in their care. Dry pet food is accepted as part of its pet food bank program, which has given out 1,500 pounds of food since its inception. The food is given to families who want to give up their pets because they cannot afford to feed them. Other donations needed include white towels of any size, stainless steel food bowls, and hard rubber chew toys, similar to the Kong brand toys.
Calling All Poets, April 21st
The East Texas Spoken Word Invitational Competition
The East Texas Spoken Word Invitational is an ‘East Texas poets only’ competition and will be held Saturday, April 21st, 7:30-9:30pm at El Guapo Records, 257 S. Broadway Ave., Downtown Tyler.
On this night, come celebrate International Poetry Month in a family-friendly space. At this collective community gathering, the featured poet will be Aaron Dunn, author of the new collection “Poetry For Your Sake.” Aaron will be reciting works which will be available for purchase.
There will be 12 poets selected for his annual spoken word event. Prizes will be awarded. Poets can enter the competition for $10. There is free admission for any audience member.
Tickets are available at eventbrite.com > East Texas Spoken Word Invitational. To participate, you must have an eventbrite ticket.
Seating is limited. For more info call or text (972)704-5001 or go to mikeguinn.biz.
Horror & Paranormal Conference Held April 20th-21st
Horror & Paranormal Conference & Psychic Fair to be Held April 20th-21st
This year’s annual Horror & Paranormal Conference & Psychic Fair is coming to town April 20th-21st, and it promises to be even bigger and better than ever.
Held at Staybridge Inn & Suites, 2759 McDonald Rd., in Tyler, you can experience everything from ghosts, to Bigfoot, to UFO’s, to psychic readings – everything can be found at this hugely popular event.
New and returning guest speakers make this an event one to remember. Come satisfy your curiosity or add to your current knowledge. You will have the opportunity to meet the established stars, the up and coming stars, and of course, experience astounding psychic readings and galleries that will be going on.
April 20th kicks it all off with a VIP dinner with the stars. This event will also include some light ghost hunting plus a movie screening. Be sure to experience the speakers and vendors all day Saturday, the 21st, and a psychic gallery that evening, followed by an all night ghost hunt at multiple locations. VIP ticket holders get early access with free coffee and donuts, front row seating, super stuffed goody bags, a special free tarot or rune reading by special guest Alexis Jones, access to a free movie of your choice Friday night at Hollywood Theaters, free dinner at Athena’s Greek Restaurant on Friday night, and free admission to the psychic gallery on Saturday night. These tickets are very limited, so get yours early.
Guests include Scott Gruenwald, Trana Simmons, Marie Davis, Rosa Ramirez, Mike McCaskill, Jeff Hurley, Dr. Heidi Hoke, Ashton Rogers, and more.
Throughout the day there will be tarot readings, astrology readings, angelic guide connection sessions, psychic rune card readings, hypnotherapy demos, medium readings, mind clearing and energy balancing sessions, reiki healing, and photo ops.
The full itinerary as well as tickets are available at toursoftyler.com. Tickets are $15-$60.
EGuide Magazine’s Gig Guide
Date Night: From Fancy to Simple, Tyler Offers a Lot of Romance
April 21st: Lead the Way 5K and more Upcoming Races
Theatre Guide: “Love, Loss & What I Wore” on Stage at Lindale Theatre
The Apple Didn’t Fall Far From The Tree
April 25th-28th: “Hamlet” on Stage at TJC
Duck! Here It Comes!
Art in the Garden April 28th at the Rose Garden
Kane Brown at TJC in Concert April 25th
“Secure Your ID Day” April 21st
Connect With Us!
Free Stuff To Do
Art in the Garden April 28th at the Rose Garden
April 28th (11am-2pm) – 12th Annual Art in the Garden The Tyler Parks and Recreation Department invites you to come...
Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Story Times
Story Time at the Book Store Every month Barnes & Noble (B&N) has a variety of events. All events are...
March Events: Wildlife Walk & Navigation Revelation at Tyler State Park
At Tyler State Park, you can boat, fish, swim in the lake, hike, mountain bike, picnic, geocache, camp, bird watch...
UT Tyler Graduate Student Exhibits Feature Steel, Wood Creations
The University of Texas at Tyler Department of Art and Art History is proud to announce three exhibitions featuring three-dimensional...
A Lock, A Key & A Symbol of Love
A Lover’s Tradition at a Rose Rudman Trail Bridge: February is the month of romance and Tyler has a unique...