Be on the Lookout for Youth Donation Scams
With the school year just underway for East Texas schools, scammers will stand outside supermarkets or other neighborhood stores asking for donations to help the local football team, band, or other cause. They may even knock on doors in your neighborhood. Most often, these fundraising efforts are legitimate and go towards a worthwhile cause, but in some cases, they are merely a way to rip-off charitable citizens.
“It’s important not to fall prey to an emotional appeal before donating to any charitable cause without first doing your homework”, said Mechele Agbayani Mills, President and CEO of BBB Serving Central East Texas. “With a simple phone call to the school, or by going to the district’s website you should be able to verify the legitimacy of a ‘school fundraiser’.”
BBB provides the following donation tips in mind the next time you consider giving to any charity or cause:
- Watch Out for High Pressure-Solicitations. Do not give in to excessive pressure for an immediate donation. Be wary of appeals that are long on emotion but short on describing what the charity will actually do to meet their organizational goals.
- Protect your Personal Information. Never give your credit card number or other personal information in response to an unsolicited telephone call, email or personal message on your social media profile from someone that is soliciting a donation.
- Avoid Giving Cash. Cash donations are difficult to track, making it harder for consumers to get tax deductions and easier for scammers to go unnoticed. It is best to use a credit or debit card which offers consumers protection in case a problem arises. If you must write a check, make it out to the name of the charitable organization, never to the individual collecting the donation.
- Be Wary of Imitations. Keep an eye out for fake charities that imitate the name and style of well-known organizations in order to potentially steal personal information such as credit card numbers.
- Confirm Text Code Numbers. If you plan to donate by text message, confirm the text code number directly with the charity. Also, keep in mind that text message donations are typically not immediate. Depending on your cell phone provider, the donation may not show up on your bill for 30 to 90 days.
- Find out about Tax Deductibility in Advance. For your donation to be tax deductible, the charity must be tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Visit IRS Publication 78 on irs.gov for a current list of all organizations eligible to receive contributions that are deductible as charitable gifts.
For more than 100 years, the Better Business Bureau has been helping people find businesses, brands and charities they can trust. In 2017, people turned to BBB more than 160 million times for BBB Business Profiles on more than 5.2 million businesses and Charity Reports on 11,000 charities, all available for free at bbb.org. There are local, independent BBBs across the United States, Canada and Mexico, including BBB Serving Central East Texas, which was founded in 1985 and serves 19 counties.
Family, Fun VetFest takes Place October 27th
Oct. 13th: Hit the Bricks Taco Throwdown
Rock the Rose Festival Oct. 18th-20th
Connect With Us!
Free Stuff To Do
Oct. 13th: Hit the Bricks Taco Throwdown
On the second Saturday of every month, people from all over converge in Downtown Tyler for Hit the Bricks. Downtown...
October 13th: Tyler Scottish Festival & Highland Games
The 3rd annual celebration of Celtic heritage is October 13th, 10am-6pm at South Spring Baptist Church, 17002 Hwy. 69 S.,...
Clear Your Weekend…Edom Art Festival October 13th-14th
The 46th Annual Edom Art Festival: Held October 13th & 14th in Downtown Edom The tiny town of Edom, Texas...
Oct. 20th: “The Greatest Showman” Free Movie in the Park
Movies in the Park Returns for 14th Fall Season Cooler fall temperatures mean the return of the Tyler Parks and Recreation’s...
October & November East Texas Festivals
East Texas is a great place for all kinds of festivals – from family fun to wine festivals, rodeos, and...
More To Do!
Gig Guide5 days ago
Tyler TX: Live Music Guide
Downtown Tyler7 months ago
Date Night: From Fancy to Simple, Tyler Offers a Lot of Romance
Food3 years ago
A Little Bit of This and A Little Bit of That: Some Really Cool New Restaurants
Around East Texas3 months ago
Make a Splash This Summer at The Waterpark at The Villages Resort